Back to the list
Wild rice with caramelized onion and cranberries
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) uncooked wild rice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) wine
- 3 medium onions minced
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) dried cranberries
- 1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) grated orange zest
- In a medium saucepan, mix vegetable broth, brown rice and wild rice.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is completely absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the wine in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onions and brown sugar.
- Bake for about 6 minutes or until the liquid is completely absorbed and the onions are tender and transparent.
- Reduce heat to minimum.
- Cook onions slowly, stirring often, about 25 minutes or until caramelized.
- Add cranberries.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes or until cranberries are puffed.
- Pour the rice into a large serving bowl.
- Gently stir in the cranberry mixture and zest in the cooked rice.