- 3 large white onions
- 3 cups (750 ml) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) Porto
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Slice the onions into slices about 5 mm thick.
- Then place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the juice is slightly syrupy and the onions are tender. Be careful: the hot jam may seem liquid, but it will thicken on cooling.
- To speed up the cooling, place the jam on a plate and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Serve cold with terrines or other cold meats, cheese or in sandwiches.